The city of North Liberty and our collaborating partners would like to invite members and organizations of the corridor community to join together in planning, organizing, and executing a Celebration of Black Hair event. Inspiration has sprouted and the idea has grown beyond what we alone can achieve. We are posting a call for innovative doers who want to bring this event to our communities through committee work.
Our basic outline for the event as it stands includes:
- An international food fair
- Art installation
- History and Significance of Black Hair (Main speaker presentation)
- Table of artifacts from the African American Museum of Iowa’s curated collection/display
- Individual workshops for and about black hair
- Basic Hair Care, Braiding, Wig Care & Fashion, Barbershops (these are only first ideas)
- Spoken Word/SLAM poetry open mic event (after hours and would be hosted at a local bar/pub)
A Committee Roundup informative meeting will be held on Thursday, August 22nd from 6:30 PM – 7:30 PM at the North Liberty Community Library. At the meeting you can expect to see the following on the agenda for the evening:
- Rundown of the City’s current vision and capabilities;
- Gather contact information from anyone who would like to be involved;
- Discussion about what date is possible for the Celebration, given the task at hand
- Confirm the name of the event and possibilities for this to be held annually;
- Identify subcommittees and divide the forces;
- Set subcommittee meeting dates.
We hope you will join us on this quest. See you August 22nd!
Contact for more information: Amy Golly, Adult Services Librarian
North Liberty Community Library
520 W. Cherry Street, PO Box 320
North Liberty, IA 52317
Office Ph: 319-626-5781