The Iowa City Downtown District in collaboration with AJ Capital Partners and The Graduate Hotel is excited to invite artists or teams of artists to submit a proposal for a new mural on the exterior wall of the Graduate Hotel located in Iowa City, Iowa.
Project Opportunities and Goals:
A successful project must be:
● An engaging, unique design that beautifies the pedestrian corridor
● Scaled appropriately to the location and traffic patterns within the space
● Stimulate conversation and create a memorable focal point at the center of Downtown Iowa City
A successful project might also:
● Tell untold or little known stories of Iowa City’s history/culture/aspirations/diversity
● Take risks in engaging residents and visitors intellectually, emotionally, or aesthetically.
● Celebrate Iowa City as a UNESCO City of Literature
Project Timeline in 2019:
June 6: Invitations for Proposals
July 22: Deadline for Proposals
Week of July 22: Proposals are Juried and Finalist is selected
Weeks of July 29 and August 5: Design revisions are made and design finalized
October 31: Deadline for Completed Artwork Installation
This RFP is open to any artist, but preference will be reserved for artists who reside, work, attend school
in Iowa, or otherwise have deep connections to Iowa or Iowa City.
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Project inquiries may be made by contacting Thomas Agran at email@example.com
Additional Information & Resources:
For information about the Iowa City Downtown District, visit https://downtowniowacity.com/
For information about The Graduate Hotel, visit https://www.graduatehotels.com/iowa-city/
For information about the UNESCO City of Literature, visit http://www.iowacityofliterature.org/
For general information about the City of Iowa City, visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iowa_City,_Iowa
For general information about the history of Iowa City, visit http://history.icpl.org/
The Graduate Hotel Mural Project is made possible with support from AJ Capital Partners, The Graduate Hotel, and the Iowa City Downtown District.