|The Coralville Center for the Performing Arts will be celebrating its first birthday on August 25 and 26!|
I recently spoke with ICCA President Dennis Green about the upcoming celebration, and he said, “On the one hand, I can’t believe it’s already been a year; on the other, it feels like you’ve always been there.”
When I stop and think about all that’s happened at the Center in such a short time, it is overwhelming.
It’s easy to toss off the aggregate statistics: more than 30,000 visitors; over 2,500 performers (adult and child; professional and amateur) on our stage; almost 3,000 volunteer hours contributed; 11 uses by Coralville schools free of charge. But I think it’s really the individual moments that best illustrate why venues like the CCPA are important to the community. Moments like:
- Taping a “sold out” sign in the front window for the first time
- Watching a group of 3rd and 4th graders file onto stage and look awestruck at a full auditorium of family and friends
- Seeing the joy in a pianist’s eyes the first time he plays our Steinway D grand piano in our acoustically superb space
- Watching a volunteer bring visiting family and friends by to show off her theater
- Hearing from the owner of a nearby coffee shop that she’d run out of food the previous weekend due to the foot traffic before and after our shows
- Turning off the houselights after a show and still feeling the energy from the performance
We’ll be celebrating these moments and those still to come next weekend during our first birthday celebration. And true to our mission, we’re inviting our community to celebrate with us, onstage and off.
Our birthday performance, “Show Us Some Razzle-Dazzle” features several local performers bringing glitz and energy to the CCPA stage. This show was inspired by charity walks – but instead of walking or running, our participants are performing! Every act made a fundraising commitment to the Center. We’ll showcase some regular CCPA performers, as well as some surprise local talents. And what’s a party without birthday cake? Attendees will enjoy cake from New Pioneer Coop, and can bid on arts-related prizes during our silent auction.
There’s a lot to celebrate next week – and many celebrations still to come. To find out more about Show Us Some Razzle-Dazzle and other CCPA events, please visit our website at www.coralvillearts.org.
Managing Director, Coralville Center for the Performing Arts